Try a local tour guide!
(1) St Ciaran’s Holy Well, High Cross, Ogham Stone, Castlekeeran, Kells, Co. Meath
(15 mins. towards Oldcastle (R163);8.37 km; allow 1 hr for the visit)
Patron day 1st Sunday in August. Legend says formed at St Kieran's command, the pools have healing powers and was a place of worship in pagan times. 3 cooked fish are supposed to appear in the well at midnight on the first Saturday of August.
(2) Loughcrew Passage Grave Cemetery (and its collection of Standing Stones, Cashel, Motte, and Cooking Pits (fulacht fia)), Oldcastle, Co. Meath
(36 mins. towards Oldcastle (R163); 20.92 km; allow 2 hours for the visit)
GPS +53 °44’38.40”N-7 °7’7.32”W
T: +353 (0) 49 854 1356 M: 087 797 1809
E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.loughcrew.com
One of Ireland’s largest Neolithic Cemetaries, with over 30 Passage Graves dating from 3,000 BC. Current access is to “Cairn T” on Carbane East.
Key available from Loughcrew Coffee Shop, along with books and leaflets.
(3) St. Kilian’s Heritage Centre, Mullagh, Co. Cavan
(20 mins via Moynalty on the R164; 13.2 km; allow 1hr 15 mins for the visit )
T: +353 (0)46 924 2433
Open: Easter to Oct Tues-Fri 10am - 6pm & Sat, Sun and Bank Holidays 2pm - 6pm
Adm: Adults €3 Students, OAP's & Groups €2.50
Patron Day July 8. Originally from Mullagh, St. Killian became a missionary to Wurzburg, Germany where he was martyred in 689 A.D. 15 minute audio-visual presentation. The exhibition also traces the development of Gaelic script from the Ogham writing of the 4th century BCE up to the illuminated script of the Book of Kells. Coffee Shop.
(4) The Seven Wonders of Fore, Castlepollard, Co. Westmeath
(57 mins via Loughcrew on the Oldcastle Rd (R163), turn left past the coffee shop at Loughcrew and follow the signs for
Fore; 31 km ; 30 mins; allow 2.5 hours for visit)
Christian settlement for 1,400 years. St. Féichín renowned for the “Seven Wonders of Fore,” including the water that never boils and the stream that flows uphill etc. The now ruined Benedictine monastery was founded here during the thirteenth century.
(5) Battle of the Boyne Centre, Oldbridge, Drogheda, Co. Meath
(38 mins, follow the M3 then take the N51 for Drogheda; 42 km; allow 1 hour for visit)
GPS: 53 °42’24.50”N 6”25’ 20.33”W
http://www.battleoftheboyne.ie/ tel: +353 (0) 41 980 9950
The Battle of the Boyne between King William III and his father-in-law, King James II, was fought on 1 July 1690 (11 July according to our modern calendar). The largest number of troops ever deployed on an Irish battlefield, and at stake were the British throne, French dominance in Europe and religious power in Ireland.
(6) Hill of Tara, Dunsany, Co. Meath
(24 mins; take the M3 towards Dublin and exit at Jct 7, follow R147 signposted Dunshauglin then Tara; allow 1 hour for visit)
GPS: 53 ° 34’ 52.68”N -6 ° 36’ 32.04” W
T: +353 (0) 46 902 5903 / +353 41 988 0300
Seat of the High Kings of Ireland, the Hill of Tara has been an important site since the late Stone Age when a passage-tomb was constructed there. Audio-visual show and guided tours of the site. Self guided audio tour available from www.ingeniousireland.ie.
(7)Trim Castle, Trim, Co. Meath
(37 mins; Leave the M3 at junction 9, then at roundabout take the 3rd exit, then at roundabout take the 1st exit onto the N51 signposted Delvin, follow signs for Trim; 26 km)
GPS: 530 33’7.92”N -60 47’ 25.08”W
T: +353 (0) 46 943 8619 / +353 (0) 46 9438964
The largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland was constructed over a thirty-year period by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter. Hugh was granted the Liberty of Meath by King Henry II in 1172 in an attempt to curb the expansionist policies of Richard de Clare, (Strongbow). Construction was begun c. 1176 on the site of an earlier wooden fortress.
(8) Newgrange (Brú na Bóinne) Visitor Centre, Donore, Co. Meath.
T: +353 41 988 0300 E: email@example.com
GPS: 530 41’ 40.20”N 60 26’ 46.68”W
Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre interprets the Neolithic monuments of Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth. Includes a full scale replica of the chamber at Newgrange as well as a full model of one of the smaller tombs at Knowth.
All admission to Newgrange and Knowth is through the Visitor Centre, there is no direct access to these monuments. Visitors are brought from the Visitor Centre to the monuments by shuttle bus.
Note: All times listed are driving times from the centre of Kells
Please double check your directions before leaving Kells.